Malipayong Bag-ong Tuig 2012[usba ang wikitext]
Malipayong Bag-ong Tuig 2012 sa tanan! Jordz 05:11, 2 Enero 2012 (UTC)
Announcing Wikipedia 1.19 beta[usba ang wikitext]
Wikimedia Foundation is getting ready to push out 1.19 to all the WMF-hosted wikis. As we finish wrapping up our code review, you can test the new version right now on beta.wmflabs.org. For more information, please read the release notes or the start of the final announcement.
The following are the areas that you will probably be most interested in:
- New common*.css files usable by skins instead of having to copy piles of generic styles from MonoBook or Vector's css.
- The default user signature now contains a talk link in addition to the user link.
- Searching blocked usernames in block log is now clearer.
- Better timezone recognition in user preferences.
- Improved diff readability for colorblind people.
- The interwiki links table can now be accessed also when the interwiki cache is used (used in the API and the Interwiki extension).
- More gender support (for instance in logs and user lists).
- Language converter improved, e.g. it now works depending on the page content language.
- Time and number-formatting magic words also now depend on the page content language.
- Bidirectional support further improved after 1.18.
Report any problems on the labs beta wiki and we'll work to address them before they software is released to the production wikis.
Note that this cluster does have SUL but it is not integrated with SUL in production, so you'll need to create another account. You should avoid using the same password as you use here. — Global message delivery 23:59, 14 Enero 2012 (UTC)
MediaWiki 1.19[usba ang wikitext]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language.) The Wikimedia Foundation is planning to upgrade MediaWiki (the software powering this wiki) to its latest version this month. You can help to test it before it is enabled, to avoid disruption and breakage. More information is available in the full announcement. Thank you for your understanding.
Update on IPv6[usba ang wikitext]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it, as well as the full version of this announcement on Meta)
The Wikimedia Foundation is planning to do limited testing of IPv6 on June 2-3. If there are not too many problems, we may fully enable IPv6 on World IPv6 day (June 6), and keep it enabled.
What this means for your project:
- At least on June 2-3, 2012, you may see a small number of edits from IPv6 addresses, which are in the form "
2001:0db8:85a3:0000:0000:8a2e:0370:7334". See e.g. w:en:IPv6 address. These addresses should behave like any other IP address: You can leave messages on their talk pages; you can track their contributions; you can block them. (See the full version of this announcement for notes on range blocks.)
- In the mid term, some user scripts and tools will need to be adapted for IPv6.
- We suspect that IPv6 usage is going to be very low initially, meaning that abuse should be manageable, and we will assist in the monitoring of the situation.
Read the full version of this announcement on how to test the behavior of IPv6 with various tools and how to leave bug reports, and to find a fuller analysis of the implications of the IPv6 migration.
--Erik Möller, VP of Engineering and Product Development, Wikimedia Foundation 00:46, 2 Hunyo 2012 (UTC)
2011 Picture of the Year competition[usba ang wikitext]
Wikimedia Commons is happy to announce that the 2011 Picture of the Year competition is now open. We are interested in your opinion as to which images qualify to be the Picture of the Year 2011. Any user registered at Commons or a Wikimedia wiki SUL-related to Commons with more than 75 edits before 1 April 2012 (UTC) is welcome to vote and, of course everyone is welcome to view!
Detailed information about the contest can be found at the introductory page.
About 600 of the best of Wikimedia Common's photos, animations, movies and graphics were chosen –by the international Wikimedia Commons community– out of 12 million files during 2011 and are now called Featured Pictures.
From professional animal and plant shots to breathtaking panoramas and skylines, restorations of historically relevant images, images portraying the world's best architecture, maps, emblems, diagrams created with the most modern technology, and impressive human portraits, Commons Features Pictures of all flavors.
For your convenience, we have sorted the images into topic categories.
We regret that you receive this message in English; we intended to use banners to notify you in your native language but there was both, human and technical resistance.
See you on Commons! --Picture of the Year 2011 Committee 18:06, 5 Hunyo 2012 (UTC)
Help decide about more than $10 million of Wikimedia donations in the coming year[usba ang wikitext]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it)
As many of you are aware, the Wikimedia Board of Trustees recently initiated important changes in the way that money is being distributed within the Wikimedia movement. As part of this, a new community-led "Funds Dissemination Committee" (FDC) is currently being set up. Already in 2012-13, its recommendations will guide the decisions about the distribution of over 10 million US dollars among the Foundation, chapters and other eligible entities.
Now, seven capable, knowledgeable and trustworthy community members are sought to volunteer on the initial Funds Dissemination Committee. It is expected to take up its work in September. In addition, a community member is sought to be the Ombudsperson for the FDC process. If you are interested in joining the committee, read the call for volunteers. Nominations are planned to close on August 15.
--Anasuya Sengupta, Director of Global Learning and Grantmaking, Wikimedia Foundation 19:54, 19 Hulyo 2012 (UTC)
More opportunities for you to access free research databases[usba ang wikitext]
The quest to get editors free access to the sources they need is gaining momentum.
- Credo Reference provides full-text online versions of nearly 1200 published reference works from more than 70 publishers in every major subject, including general and subject dictionaries and encyclopedias. There are 125 full Credo 350 accounts available, with access even to 100 more references works than in Credo's original donation. All you need is a 1-year old account with 1000 edits. Sign up here.
- HighBeam Research has access to over 80 million articles from 6,500 publications including newspapers, magazines, academic journals, newswires, trade magazines and encyclopedias. Thousands of new articles are added daily, and archives date back over 25 years covering a wide range of subjects and industries. There are 250 full access 1-year accounts available. All you need is a 1-year old account with 1000 edits. Sign up here.
- Questia is an online research library for books and journal articles focusing on the humanities and social sciences. Questia has curated titles from over 300 trusted publishers including 77,000 full-text books and 4 million journal, magazine, and newspaper articles, as well as encyclopedia entries. There will soon be 1000 full access 1-year accounts available. All you need is a 1-year old account with 1000 edits. Sign up here.
You might also be interested in the idea to create a central Wikipedia Library where approved editors would have access to all participating resource donors. Add your feedback to the Community Fellowship proposal. Apologies for the English message (translate here). Go sign up :) --Ocaasi (talk) 02:12, 16 Agosto 2012 (UTC)
Request for Comment: Legal Fees Assistance Program[usba ang wikitext]
I apologize for addressing you in English. I would be grateful if you could translate this message into your language.
The Wikimedia Foundation is conducting a request for comment on a proposed program that could provide legal assistance to users in specific support roles who are named in a legal complaint as a defendant because of those roles. We wanted to be sure that your community was aware of this discussion and would have a chance to participate in that discussion.
If this page is not the best place to publicize this request for comment, please help spread the word to those who may be interested in participating. (If you'd like to help translating the "request for comment", program policy or other pages into your language and don't know how the translation system works, please come by my user talk page at m:User talk:Mdennis (WMF). I'll be happy to assist or to connect you with a volunteer who can assist.)
Thank you! --Mdennis (WMF)01:49, 6 Septiyembre 2012 (UTC)
Wikidata is getting close to a first roll-out[usba ang wikitext]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language.)
As some of you might already have heard Wikimedia Deutschland is working on a new Wikimedia project. It is called m:Wikidata. The goal of Wikidata is to become a central data repository for the Wikipedias, its sister projects and the world. In the future it will hold data like the number of inhabitants of a country, the date of birth of a famous person or the length of a river. These can then be used in all Wikimedia projects and outside of them.
The project is divided into three phases and "we are getting close to roll-out the first phase". The phases are:
- language links in the Wikipedias (making it possible to store the links between the language editions of an article just once in Wikidata instead of in each linked article)
- infoboxes (making it possible to store the data that is currently in infoboxes in one central place and share the data)
- lists (making it possible to create lists and similar things based on queries to Wikidata so they update automatically when new data is added or modified)
It'd be great if you could join us, test the demo version, provide feedback and take part in the development of Wikidata. You can find all the relevant information including an FAQ and sign-up links for our on-wiki newsletter on the Wikidata page on Meta.
For further discussions please use this talk page (if you are uncomfortable writing in English you can also write in your native language there) or point me to the place where your discussion is happening so I can answer there.
--Lydia Pintscher 13:09, 10 Septiyembre 2012 (UTC)
Hello! This wiki will be switched to the up to date Wikipedia logo in about a week. You can see it on commons:Wikipedia/2.0; please comment on talk if there's something wrong with it.
Thank you, Global message delivery (feedback) 21:35, 22 Septiyembre 2012 (UTC)
Upcoming software changes - please report any problems[usba ang wikitext]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language. Please consider translating it)
Please watch for problems with:
- revision diffs
- PDF export
- images, video, and sound, especially scaling sizes
- the CologneBlue skin
Thanks! With your help we can find problems fast and get them fixed faster.
Sumana Harihareswara, Wikimedia Foundation Engineering Community Manager (talk) 02:44, 16 Oktubre 2012 (UTC)
P.S.: For the regular, smaller MediaWiki updates every two weeks, please watch this schedule.
Fundraising localization: volunteers from outside the USA needed[usba ang wikitext]
Please translate for your local community
The Wikimedia Foundation's Fundraising team have begun our 'User Experience' project, with the goal of understanding the donation experience in different countries outside the USA and enhancing the localization of our donation pages. I am searching for volunteers to spend 30 minutes on a Skype chat with me, reviewing their own country's donation pages. It will be done on a 'usability' format (I will ask you to read the text and go through the donation flow) and will be asking your feedback in the meanwhile.
The only pre-requisite is for the volunteer to actually live in the country and to have access to at least one donation method that we offer for that country (mainly credit/debit card, but also real-time banking like IDEAL, E-wallets, etc...) so we can do a live test and see if the donation goes through. All volunteers will be reimbursed of the donations that eventually succeed (and they will be low amounts, like 1-2 dollars)
By helping us you are actually helping thousands of people to support our mission of free knowledge across the world. Please sing up and help us with our 'User Experience' project! :) If you are interested (or know of anyone who could be) please email firstname.lastname@example.org. All countries needed (excepting USA)!
Global Fundraising Operations Manager, Wikimedia Foundation
Sent using Global message delivery, 16:49, 17 Oktubre 2012 (UTC)
Wikidata is now open[usba ang wikitext]
Anybody here?[usba ang wikitext]
Hi! Sorry for posting in English here. I posted a message two weeks ago on Hisgot sa Wikipedia:Embahada, but got no reaction there so far. In that message, I proposed a project to bot-create articles about species of plants and animals, and asked for a bot flag for my Lsjbot. Meanwhile, I have created a test sample of species articles, as well as articles about all the chemical elements (both found in Kategoriya:Paghimo ni bot). I suppose I could just go ahead and run the rest of the animals, but it would be nice with some kind of blessing from the community. Lsj (talk) 15:53, 1 Enero 2013 (UTC)
- Hi Lsj, I'm quite very busy these months. For me, you can go ahead with this project. Test samples are fine, you can continue to create them. Just let the cebwiki community take its time to decide. I'll give the community til end of second week of January (Jan 19-20, 2013). Salamat ug malipayong bag-ong tuig kanimo! :) Jordz (talk) 07:29, 4 Enero 2013 (UTC)
- Thank you for your kind answer. As you suggest, I will wait another couple of weeks before doing any massive creation runs, to see if there are any comments or objections from the community. When it is time to go ahead, I would appreciate if you could grant a bot flag to Lsjbot, as Espesyal:Bag-ongGiusab will be totally overloaded otherwise. Lsj (talk) 21:09, 5 Enero 2013 (UTC)
- The bot is running now. Currently creating articles about echinoderms -- see Kategoriya:Mananap nga adunay panit ang tunokon paghimo ni bot (my attempt to translate "echinoderm" into cebuano). Lsj (talk) 17:15, 20 Enero 2013 (UTC)
Be a Wikimedia fundraising "User Experience" volunteer![usba ang wikitext]
Thank you to everyone who volunteered last year on the Wikimedia fundraising 'User Experience' project. We have talked to many different people in different countries and their feedback has helped us immensely in restructuring our pages. If you haven't heard of it yet, the 'User Experience' project has the goal of understanding the donation experience in different countries (outside the USA) and enhancing the localization of our donation pages.
I am (still) searching for volunteers to spend some time on a Skype chat with me, reviewing their own country's donation pages. It will be done on a 'usability' format (I will ask you to read the text and go through the donation flow) and will be asking your feedback in the meanwhile.
The only pre-requisite is for the volunteer to actually live in the country and to have access to at least one donation method that we offer for that country (mainly credit/debit card, but also real time banking like IDEAL, E-wallets, etc...) so we can do a live test and see if the donation goes through. **All volunteers will be reimbursed of the donations that eventually succeed (and they will be very low amounts, like 1-2 dollars)**
By helping us you are actually helping thousands of people to support our mission of free knowledge across the world. If you are interested (or know of anyone who could be) please email email@example.com. All countries needed (excepting USA)!!
Global Fundraising Operations Manager, Wikimedia Foundation
- Sent using Global message delivery, 20:40, 8 Enero 2013 (UTC)
Wikimedia sites to move to primary data center in Ashburn, Virginia. Read-only mode expected.[usba ang wikitext]
(Apologies if this message isn't in your language.) Next week, the Wikimedia Foundation will transition its main technical operations to a new data center in Ashburn, Virginia, USA. This is intended to improve the technical performance and reliability of all Wikimedia sites, including this wiki. There will be some times when the site will be in read-only mode, and there may be full outages; the current target windows for the migration are January 22nd, 23rd and 24th, 2013, from 17:00 to 01:00 UTC (see other timezones on timeanddate.com). More information is available in the full announcement.
If you would like to stay informed of future technical upgrades, consider becoming a Tech ambassador and joining the ambassadors mailing list. You will be able to help your fellow Wikimedians have a voice in technical discussions and be notified of important decisions.
Thank you for your help and your understanding.
50,000 nga artikulo[usba ang wikitext]
Kit-anay sa Sugbo, Pebrero 1-5 2013[usba ang wikitext]
Sa tanang tigbasa, tigbutang, ug tig-usab og mga artikulo dinhi, o si bisan kinsa nga gusto makighigala sa mga wikipedista, mobakasyon sa Cebu karong Pebrero 1-5 si Sky_Harbor, ang bise-presidente sa Wikimedia Pilipinas. Plano niya makigkita (Wikipedia Meetup) sa mga nakabase sa Sugbo ug tapad nga mga lalawigan. Palihog na lang og tubag dinhi o kaha sa akong hisgotan. Salamat Jordz (talk) 05:45, 23 Enero 2013 (UTC)
- I am not the Vice-President of Wikimedia Philippines at the moment, but I will gladly meet Wikipedians if they'd like. I will be arriving in Cebu on Friday, and I will be in Tagbilaran (and around Bohol) between February 1 (evening) and 5. :) --Sky Harbor (hisgot) 11:58, 30 Enero 2013 (UTC)
Cebuano > Tagalog[usba ang wikitext]
Help turn ideas into grants in the new IdeaLab[usba ang wikitext]
I apologize if this message is not in your language. Please help translate it.
- Do you have an idea for a project to improve this community or website?
- Do you think you could complete your idea if only you had some funding?
- Do you want to help other people turn their ideas into project plans or grant proposals?
Please join us in the IdeaLab, an incubator for project ideas and Individual Engagement Grant proposals.
The Wikimedia Foundation is seeking new ideas and proposals for Individual Engagement Grants. These grants fund individuals or small groups to complete projects that help improve this community. If interested, please submit a completed proposal by February 15, 2013. Please visit https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Grants:IEG for more information.
Thanks! --Siko Bouterse, Head of Individual Engagement Grants, Wikimedia Foundation 20:11, 30 Enero 2013 (UTC)